Popular Posts

Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Ugandan Cuisine

Last summer I volunteered in Thailand for three weeks. I learned many things about Thai culture that I didn't expect and often found myself surprised by what I was experiencing. Something I unexpectedly loved was Thai food- which I've continued to eat fairly often after returning to America.

With so many cultural shocks coming my way when I travel to Uganda, I continue to be extremely intrigued and excited to eat Ugandan food. I've done a bit of research and found that fish is fairly popular, along with meat or chicken stews! Unfortunately, I don't consume meat or dairy but I love being challenged to find meals that I can eat. In my past experiences abroad, I have found that non meat dishes are spiced better than typical meat dishes (I really enjoy spices and spicy foods). Is anyone excited to experience African cuisine, or any certain dish specially? Obviously food isn't a focus on the trip but I believe it's extremely important when experiencing a new culture and environment.

2 comments:

  1. When I did a quick Google search, I too found some interesting and exciting foods. I saw a picture of Samosas, which I have had before, and that I am more than happy to eat again. It will be interesting to taste the difference between the Samosas I had with a family from Pakistan versus those in Uganda. I am also very excited for the fresh fruits and vegetables, but I know that there can often be issues with how fresh fruits and veggies are prepared when it comes to food-borne illnesses.

    As I do not eat seafood, I am not looking forward to fish, but I am a big fan of chicken dishes, so I am excited to see the different ways proteins are prepared and served in Uganda.

    While I am excited to try a new cuisine, I am also glad that there will be food available that we are more accustomed to just in case.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Food is fun! The main dish in Uganda is matooke. It's a plantain (looks like a green banana) that is the staple. It gets boiled in banana leaves and it comes out as a soft yellow substance that tastes really good when mixed with groundnut sauce or with chicken broth. There's lots of other foods as well, but if you're in rural Uganda, that's the main thing people eat.

    I love Ugandan food but the typical foods there aren't particularly spicy. The diet tends to be kind of bland. However, you will eat other types of food too. Kampala has lots of good restaurants and Red Chili has quite a good kitchen for a hostel.

    Kathleen, I know you said you don't like fish. I would encourage you to try some fresh tilapia when you're there. I'm not a big fish lover myself but I really like tilapia. It has a mild taste and doesn't have that 'fishy' taste that I don't like in other forms of seafood.

    And Katie, I don't think you'll have problems finding vegetarian options. There's lots of veggies there.
    Dr. McKnight

    ReplyDelete