Popular Posts

Thursday, March 1, 2018

Pre-travel Monologues of Far Away Places

Preparing to travel to countries that are drastically different from our home country may trigger both emotions of excitement and anxiety. Everything you know prior to travel is based on what you have heard from peers/your instructors, or read about or seen via some video footage. But even then, that knowledge does not quash all your curiosities. I remember going through a similar experience when I was preparing to come the US for my graduate studies from Uganda almost two decades ago. I was excited about the opportunity to obtain the highly sought after American MBA degree, making American and  'international' friends, the potential opportunity to finally vastly travel within the US to all the cities I had head so much about i.e. LA, New York, Washington DC, Chicago, Orlando, etc. For a kid who had spent a large part of my life in rural Uganda, what awaited me was unfathomable.

At the same time, I worried about being able to adjust and manage life in this very sophisticated world I had only garnered from films (movies). I had watched films such as Eddie Murphy's "Coming to America" or the Richard Gere and Julia Roberts "Pretty Woman" (some of you are way too young to even recognize these titles!). I had watched and re-watched many of these films and the anxiety of very simple things like being able to use lifts (elevators), or walk on escalators on the right (not left) side with traffic really scared me. Moreover, even though I had spoken English (American) most of my life, I wondered if I would be able to either be understood or to understand others when they spoke. Since I frequently needed to rewind the video cassette whenever I did not quite understand the dialogue in a film, I figured that not having the opportunity to 'rewind' pieces of a conversation would be stressful. I also had now found out that Americans sometimes had peculiar usages of the English language that I was totally unaccustomed to. In the situation I just referred to, saying 'I beg your pardon' was typical English speak I was accustomed. Later, I would find out that Americans sometimes said 'come again' which made no sense to me. I was worried about being understood obviously because I spoke English differently from most I would encounter (I had always assumed that everyone had an English accent depending on where one learned and used the language during their early years of life. So every time someone remarked "you have an accent, where are you from?" My short answer was always Uganda but I was left wondering if I should have added "you too have an accent" in my response). I also worried about being able to talk in terms of pounds, or miles and gallons since I had used the metric system all my previous life. And then there were American sports, a topic I do not even know where to start since to this day this is an area that I have totally failed to fully comprehend. Football (soccer) was going to be a different game for me, and one that was no longer as important as I had known it to be. The teams, their histories, stats, rules of the game, and the amount of information one had to know seemed overwhelming.

These emotions I think are nothing unusual and are simply a mental process that allows us to embrace as best we can the differences we are about to experience in a travel situation. What are those points of excitement or anxiety about this upcoming trip that you can share here? Are there any that you would be curious about what others think or those that need clarification?

5 comments:

  1. I still continue to make cultural mistakes twelve years later. One of the toughest things for me to remember was to not hurry into the main point of a conversation. That is my personality to get down to business. But in the Uganda culture you take time to ask about the person, their family, their well-being, their work and more and it is rude to not do so. I try to do this but sometimes still forget. On the positive side, it has made me more sensitive in America about taking time to ask someone these questions and really listen. I hear visitors from Africa often say that 'How are You?' is confusing and frustrating because we ask but do not take the time for an answer. - Dr. Bishop

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited for the opportunity to meet Ugandans. I think that meeting and speaking to people is the best way to understand and connect with another culture. I am also very excited for the health day that we will be helping with. I can see myself helping in the clinic as well as playing soccer with kids, talking to locals, the list goes on and on!

    I am most nervous about the possibility of getting sick while abroad, but I'm not sure it's worth worrying about because there isn't much I can do about it right now. Additionally I have some nervousness about the initial transition to being in Uganda, but I think the excitement and this prep class will help with that. Most nerve-racking is what I have heard about reverse culture shock, but I'm going to cross that bridge if/when I come to it.

    I am definitely more excited than I am nervous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very excited to experience a different culture and being exposed to different perspectives. No matter where I travel, the experience is always drastically different and I learn so many new things along the way. As an environmental scientist/political scientist, I am excited to see both the unique natural and political environments. Uganda provides an interesting case example on how to manage conservation issues in a developing country, and I am excited to learn more about the country in general!

    I am the most nervous about not understanding someone's accent. I have a little bit of a hearing issue, and that makes it difficult to understand someone if the have an accent, talk too fast, or talk too low. The last time I studied abroad, I felt like the language barrier was the largest issue for me. Not only did I have trouble communicating with those who did speak English, but I also had trouble sometimes communicating with those that did. I felt like I would have gotten so much more out of the trip if I had been able to communicate with more people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like Dr. B. I feel like I continue to make mistakes no matter how many times I've been to Uganda. I'm thankful for the fact that, in general, Ugandan culture is quite hospitable. People are ready to extend grace and understanding to folks who are unfamiliar with the situation. My guess is that most everyone has already thought of this, but one of the best things to do in a different culture is to just remember that people are people wherever you go. Yes, folks in Uganda will speak with a different accent (and Jimmy's right, there is no 'correct' English accent - there are just variants all over the world), have different ways of looking at things, live in somewhat different ways; but if one can be interested in the people one is with, it will go a long way to covering over any surface problems.

    I know Kaitlyn, you mentioned the fear of not understanding someone's accent. Yes, that will undoubtedly be an issue at times. Besides the different accent, English in Uganda has idiomatic expressions we don't use and different inflections. I still have to stop and ask people to repeat themselves or explain a saying, and I think that's quite OK. Folks there will certainly have to do that with us as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It has not quite hit me yet that I will be somewhere else for three weeks. As we sit at the airport, I am excited for the new experiences that are to come so soon! I am ready and excited to learn new things about those in a different culture. My project looks at the legal system and I am excited to see the different ways that it runs in Uganda.

    I am nervous for the differences in the food. As I usually enjoy most food, I hope that I am able to eat everything and it settles well! I am also a little nervous for how we will get along with the Ugandan students. I am sure everything will work out just fine!!

    ReplyDelete