Popular Posts

Monday, June 11, 2018

Culture

On Sunday, May 27th, we had the amazing opportunity to visit the Ndere Centre and throughout the trip, we experienced handmade art, ceramics, jewelry and more. At Ndere, we were able to participate with the performers whether it was dancing or playing an instrument of choice with traditional music. Stephen, the director, stressed the concept of all of us coming together as one and improvising together while allowing the music to take control. The performance throughout the rest of the night encompassed at least four or five different traditional cultural dances. They embraced the music to the fullest, displaying pride in their culture(s). It’s crucial for us to be proud of what we believe in and embrace our culture whether it’s religion, morals, or values. 


Although exhausted from the day, all of us were eager to dance with everyone on the stage at the very end of the performance. To simply dance with people we did not even know yet finding a connection between us felt reviving and welcoming for all of us. We should take into account that welcoming feeling the dancers gave us and share that with others as well. 

Some questions to consider...
What did you find was the most important takeaway from visiting the Ndere Dance Center?
Do you believe people should embrace their own culture more? Why?
What was your most memorable moment when experiencing the culture?

2 comments:

  1. The Ndere Centre was one of my favorite events of the entire trip because I was so amazed by all of the dances and instruments. I also think it is really important for Uganda to preserve their tribal culture as they continue to develop. As many MUB students expressed, many Ugandans now feel tensions between adopting western norms and preserving their culture. While change is important, culture is also important in uniting a people. So, balancing the two will be a key aspect of sustainable development.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michaela SpielbergerJune 13, 2018 at 12:05 PM

    Easily one of the best things we did as a group was going to and learning from the Ndere Centre members. My biggest takeaway from our visit was learning how to be present with each moment. This was taught indirectly through the way they showed us how to dance and create music as a community. When dancing back home, I grew up learning to follow choreography and specific ways to dance to specific music. When they taught us how to dance, they did not just simply move their bodies, they let the music move them. I took that as a lesson to translate to the way I spend time/moments in life. I don't want to just sit in a moment worrying about preparing for the upcoming moments, instead I want to be present with time and appreciate the time I am given. I want to live with moments, not in them.

    Yes, yes, yes! People should definitely embrace their own culture more because cultures are part of what diversifies people. Life would be extremely boring if the people of the world were all the same. Culture needs to continue so peoples values, personalities, and behaviors continue to develop in unique ways from each other. I believe differences enhance the quality of life and without culture, I don't think differences would be as distinct as they are with culture.

    My most memorable experience was when one of the dancers came over to me before we performed and wrapped a sweater around my waist. Later that night the same dancer found me after the performance when everyone was dancing together and we danced with each other. Her and I barely spoke with each other, but I felt a connection to her through her kindness and shared love for dance and dancing with each other. The moment I shared with her made my heart full.

    ReplyDelete