Popular Posts

Monday, April 2, 2018

A Taste Unlike Any Other

Known to some as the fruit basket of Africa, Uganda seems to serve a variety of different types of fruit. In my past study abroad experiences, I can say that one of the best ways to become familiar with a country and its culture is by going to the local market and seeing what the vendors have to offer. For example, in Costa Rica, I had the ability to taste something called a Granadilla. This type of fruit looked like an orange from the outside, but had a hollow shell, and a large amount of seeds with goo inside the shell. I would expect Uganda to have something that we are not used to seeing.

The most common types of fruit in Uganda are bananas, pineapple, papaya, watermelon, passion fruit and mangoes. This is pretty interesting because many people associate these with Hawaii or a tropical rainforest environment. It just goes to show you that fertile soil, lots of rain, and a decent amount of sunlight can create perfect conditions for a world of different tastes. The important thing to remember here is to be open to trying new things that you have never seen before. By being open to culture, and stepping outside of your comfort zone, you may just find a new favorite type of food. What dish or fruit are you looking forward to?

3 comments:

  1. My favorite fruit is found mainly in Asia; Durian! It's actually known as the "stinky fruit" because it's odor is so bad. In fact, once I had boughten some cut up slices in Thailand and brought them back to my dorm. My roommate actually threw up from the stench, which I thought was hilarious because how could a fruit cause so much misery?! It's taste is amazing and I haven't had it since I was abroad, although I've looked into ordering it online. In Uganda, my favorite fruit to eat will most likely be mangoes. I absolutely love the taste in America, and assume they will be much more delicious there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw a late night interview with Jimmy Kimmel where his guest brought Durian. They gave similar reactions to what you described. It is gems like that that are usually impossible to find domestically.

      Delete
  2. When I went to Ecuador, I know one of my favorite parts of the cuisine (and the trip) was the variety of fruit and fruit juices. I was actually able to try something that sounds similar to the Granadilla you described, but I never knew the name because they couldn't translate it. So, thanks! I am most excited to have mangoes, which is my favorite fruit.

    ReplyDelete